As you can see I’m trying this words over picture thing again and unlike the last one it’s not a total fail, not at all perfect or exactly as I want it but for a techno challenged girl like myself, it’s some decent progress.
Now on to discuss this recipe!
Fun Fact: I was born in Germany.
My parents spent the beginning years of their marriage and my older brothers life in Germany, I on the other hand spent very little time in the country and moved back to the states right before my 1st birthday.
However I have some Germany cuisine tendencies which include my meat & potato cravings, plus the insistent need for gummy bears (original and best from Germany)!
Mama was a new wife and getting the hang of cooking and preparing meals so she picked up a lot of her technique and habits from her surroundings which were German culture, some of those things being passed down to me, I wanted to share one of my favorite takes on the bratwurst!
This recipe is packed with fruits and veggies which makes it guilt free (for me), eat it on a whole wheat bun and you have a well-rounded meal…I think… (disclaimer: I only pretend to be a nutritionist)
Plus its super simple and not at all time-consuming, which makes it perfect for those busy work-weeks!
This recipe is just a piece of all the delicious and hearty foods Germany has to offer, plus I just love Bratwurst
- 6 Bratwurst
- 6 Hoagie Rolls
- 1/2 head cabbage shredded
- 2 green apples thinly sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Stone Ground Mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 -1 tablespoon Kosher salt (start with 1/2 add more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil in pan.
- Brown bratwurst on both sides.
- Remove from pan.
- Add onion saute for 30 seconds and then add apples.
- Sauteed an cook down for about 2 minutes then add shredded cabbage.
- Now add mustard, vinegar, honey, water, salt, and caraway seeds.
- When everything cooks down add bratwurst back to pan.
- Replace top turn heat to low and let simmer 10 minutes.
- Taste and add salt as needed.