Since breakfast is our most indulgent meal of the day I make biscuits and gravy quite often, I then reserve the rest of the day for burning the indulgent meal off! See life is all about balance I eat bad then balance it out by exercising GOOD! Makes perfect sense right?
Did I mention it’s the hubs favorite meal as well! He’s country too!
Even if you aren’t bumpkins quite like us you’ll still enjoy this comforting southern staple breakfast! Of course I like it the traditional way but I wanted to put a little twist on this country classic, so I came up with this Spanish flavor Cheddar biscuits and Chorizo gravy combo!
Yes and Yes! It is awesome! Light and fluffy homemade biscuits sprinkled with cheddar throughout, then smothered in a creamy & spicy Chorizo gravy, lastly garnished in my top 2 favorite fresh herbs, Cilantro!
Let me just get to it and give you the easy and surprisingly quick recipe!
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6.75 oz chopped Spanish Chorizo
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- salt to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together flours, salt and baking powder.
- Cut cold butter and shortening into flour mixture.
- Slowly add buttermilk and bring everything together.
- Gently mix in shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle work surface with flour.
- Turn biscuit mixture onto flour.
- Flatten very gently with hands.
- Fold and flatten again.
- Repeat this step two more times.
- Cut biscuits out.
- Line biscuits onto greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 13 minutes or until brown.
- For gravy
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in skillet.
- Add chopped Chorizo to melted butter and brown.
- Sprinkle in the 3 tablespoons of flour.
- Using a whisk cook for about 30 seconds and then slowly add milk.
- Mix in until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Add warm water, garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin and salt to taste.
- Mix in 2 remaining tablespoons of butter and serve over warm biscuits.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro!