Chicken and rice were dinner staples growing up, we would eat it as a casserole, or topped in a delicious homemade gravy.
As much as I love tradition I wanted to switch a childhood favorite up a bit and creamy curry chicken and rice it is.
This is a perfect one pot dinner that will save you time, dishes and money!
It includes your protein, vegetable and carb all in one pot.
You could replace the flour with cornstarch or other gluten-free flours for a complete gluten and/or wheat free meal.
This meal is sure to satisfy a crowd and a budget.
Oh and if curry is not your thing Cumin makes a great substitute.
Check out the pictures for a step by step cooking guide!
- 2 Pounds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 4 small carrots chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped.
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chicken base
- 2 dried bay leaf
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 cup water
- Cut chicken into 1 inch chunks.
- Put flour, ground pepper and salt into a freezer bag.
- Put the cut-up chicken into flour mix in the zip lock bag.
- Melt butter in dutch oven.
- Add canola oil and heat the oils together.
- When oil is hot add floured chicken to oil.
- Toss chicken until it's browned on all sides.
- Add carrots, onions, garlic and celery.
- Let everything simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes add curry powder and mix.
- Add tomato paste and chicken base.
- Add cup of rice.
- Let cook for about a minute.
- Add half & half, and water.
- Put bay leaves into pot.
- Bring to simmer.
- Turn heat to low and recover with top.
- Check in between the 20 minutes.
- Keep an eye on it.
- Cook for 20 more minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove bay leaf.