Meatless Monday is something I’ve been trying out mainly to save money, most cuts of quality hormone-free lean meats are expensive and when you have to feed a family of six with those meats it can get very expensive. This soup will make you forget you are missing any animal protein.
This soup is perfect for a meatless Monday, we enjoy it with grilled cheese sandwiches which was awesome.
This fresh homemade tomato soup is sure to impress, it’s roasted tomatoes with garlic, onion and cream cheese all smoothed out into a soft and delicate texture and added french green lentil.
Lentils are quick and easy unlike many beans, and so good for you. Elle (my 3 YO) loves this soup and unlike most beans actually enjoys lentils so they have become a go-to protein in our home especially for if I’m making a meatless meal.
I boil them will 3 whole garlic cloves for flavor but save the salt until they hit the soup. This preserves its texture and the overall integrity of the lentil.
I’m not going to talk any more before I get to this recipe, I just want to let you know it’s delicious and I promise, worth the effort.
What you’ll need….
1 Tablespoon Salt
4 Tablespoons Olive oil
32 oz vegetable stock
4 garlic cloves
1 cup uncooked French green lentils
1 small yellow onion chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 oz cream cheese
Pre heat oven to 400
Slice tomatoes in half and place the open side on roasting pan.
Drizzle tomatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with ½ Tbs of salt.
Bake in oven on 400 for 25 minutes.
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
Add lentils and whole garlic cloves.
After 5 minutes turn stove down to medium low.
Add ½ cup water to cover lentils.
Put top on lentils and cook 20 more minutes.
In a large pot heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil
Saute chopped onions and garlic.
Add vegetables stock, 1/2 Tablespoon Salt and cumin bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes.
Turn heat to medium low.
Add cream cheese.
Now use hand mixer/immersion blender to mix everything into a smooth consistency.
Add lentils, mix soup in pot and replace top.
Let soup sit for 5 minutes.
Make a grilled cheese sandwich and dip it in!
Serve hot topped with chopped parsley and shredded cheese!
- 9 tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- Olive oil
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup uncooked French green lentils
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 oz cream cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400
- Wash tomatoes.
- Slice tomatoes in half and place the open side on roasting pan.
- Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with ½ Tablespoon of salt.
- Bake in oven on 400 for 25 minutes.
- Wash Lentils.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add lentils and whole garlic cloves.
- Bring lentils to boil and let boil for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes turn stove down to medium low.
- Add ½ cup water to cover lentils.
- Put top on lentils and cook 20 more minutes.
- In a large pot heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Sauté chopped onions and garlic.
- When onions are translucent add finished roasted tomatoes.
- Add vegetables stock, ½ Tablespoon salt and cumin bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium low.
- Add cream cheese.
- Now use hand mixer/immersion blender to mix everything into a smooth consistency.
- Add lentils, mix soup in pot and replace top.
- Let soup sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot sprinkled with shredded Colby Jack cheese and chopped parsley!
- This is awesome with grilled cheese sandwiches, dip them or simply serve them on the side. You will certainly not regret it!