I’ve been making chicken nuggets at home since I watched a less than appetizing segment on the news or some discovery channel show about what’s really in commercial “chicken” nuggets, and I use chicken VERY loosely.
I was sort of put off when I saw the plethora of by-products used in the mass-produced chicken nuggets.
Chicken nuggets are not something that is at all difficult to make, but the convenience of the kid pleasing frozen alternative can be tempting for the busy workaholic mommy I once was.
Now, I have no trouble making them at home and unlike before the adults enjoy eating the homemade ones as well.
The great thing about making them at home is the control you have over seasoning, flavors and size. The juicy and tender “real” white meat may have something to do with it as well.
I love trying different flavors and coatings for our nuggets and I wanted to share one of my favorite flavors with you.
White chicken breast covered in a Jamaican Jerk coating which blew my socks off after I dipped them in a spicy BBQ dip made with Jamaican scotch bonnet sauce. This was a delicious plate of sweet and savory flavors, the homemade cinnamon brown sugar sweet potato chips took the entire dish over the top.
I always make my own BBQ sauce, but have never really took the time to get exact measurements I kind of taste and add as I go. I’ve included what I used in my sauce for the Jerk chicken nuggets. I simply mixed everything and put it in the microwave covered for about 45 seconds. Took it out of the microwave, stirred it up some more and voila BBQ sauce! Use how much of whatever you like.
Taste and add as you go, that’s soul food cooking at it’s best!
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Sauce
Stone Ground Mustard
- 2 Lbs Chicken Breast
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- ¾ cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon Jamaican all spice
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbs water
- Cut your chicken breast into about 1 inch squares.
- In bowl mix together the bread crumbs, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, Jamaican allspice, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper.
- Mix flour and 1 teaspoon of salt in a zip lock bag.
- Put chicken into bag with flour and shake it up to evenly coat chicken.
- Mix together in small bowl eggs, and water.
- Put flour coated chicken into egg wash and then into bread crumb mix.
- Evenly coat chicken with bread crumbs and move to plate.
- Repeat these steps with the rest of the chicken.
- In a large pot heat oil on medium high.
- When oil is ready put chicken into pot and fry for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve warm.