My babysitter was from Puerto Rico and according to the peeps, we went together like
no pun intended, red beans and rice! I have remnants of memories which include Ms. Arlene ( her name) her beautiful smile and her delicious food!After extended stays with Ms. Arlene all I wanted to eat were beans and rice, being that she was from the islands I’m sure hers were both authentic and heavenly, unfortunately with me and my awful memory, Ms. Arlene’s beans and rice are just a figment of my food imagination… …fortunately I make some heavenly beans and rice myself!
These won’t disappoint, and they make a quick and easy side in a snap!
- 2 slices of thick Applewood smoked bacon chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup extra-long grain rice
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 ½ Chicken Base
- 15.5 oz. can red kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Add bacon to skillet.
- Fry and render fat from bacon.
- When bacon gets crispy add minced garlic mix in.
- Add chopped onion.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Now add rice.
- Mix in and let the rice cook for a bit.
- Add water, chicken base, cumin, beans, and butter.
- Bring to a boil while stirring.
- Turn heat down to low and put top onto pan.
- Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm