A simple and easy pie crust made with a blend of all-purpose flour and cake flour. Pie crust maybe something you’re comfortable with buying from the store, but once you try this homemade pie you may rethink that, plus it’s easier than you could imagine!
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
6 cold Tablespoons Butter
3 cold Tablespoons Shortening
3-5 teaspoons ice cold water
The trick to the perfect flaky pie crust is to make sure all your ingredients are cold.
You don’t want to over mix, and leave some chunks of butter and shortening which produces the flaky layers.
Sift all purpose and cake flour together, add salt and sugar, cut in cold butter and cold shortening.
When reaches a crumbly consistency add 3-5 teaspoons of ice cold water.
When everything comes make a ball wrap it up with plastic wrap and let sit in the refrigerator for at lest 20 minutes.
Roll dough out and place in prepared pie pan.
You can freeze this crust but i’m not sure for how long :/ the longest I’ve ever froze one was 2-3 weeks, but I’m sure it can go a little longer.
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 cold Tablespoons Butter
- 3 cold Tablespoons Shortening
- 3-5 teaspoons ice cold water
- Sift together, all purpose flour, cake flour, salt and sugar!
- Cut butter and shortening into flour.
- Add cold water a little at a time just until everything is incorporated.
- Let dough sit in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Roll out and place into pie dish!
- Make sure everything is cold before you start mixing. I put my bowl into the freezer for a few minutes before I start working with my butter and shortening.