Considering my jeans gave me some fastening challenges this morning and I could barely sit in this seat to type this recipe, I probably shouldn’t be typing this recipe.
But since it’s the holiday season and I want you all to enjoy some good and satisfying food never mind the calories, I’m going to be bad and post it anyways…and start my new campaign…..”No More Box Mac and Cheese in 2014!”
*I’m going on a juicing diet when the holiday season is over*
A bit dramatic I know but I haven’t had box Mac and Cheese in eons, but what I can remember of it is not very impressive, so why eat a box of processed cheese and pasta when you can just make the real thing at home. We’re all grown-ups (I at least pretend to be)….let us rejoice in it!
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese is so much better and worth the extra work! You really can’t go back to the box once you start making your own mac and cheese at home.
Well at least my little family couldn’t, but my kids are a bunch of cheese snobs, they love all the good stuff ( i.e Percorino, Aged Cheddar, Gruyère, even Bleu D’ Auvergne) and none of the processed stuff you know American cheese…..no Kraft singles for them.
Now if you prefer american cheese or Velveeta over cheddar than this recipe is not for you, now what you could do is substitute the blocks of cheddar for some blocks of Velveeta, you may need to play with the other measurement a bit.
However if you enjoy food induced comas, a Pre-hypertension reading on the blood pressure monitor, an intense creamy flavor, and the occasional giggly thighs then jump on this homemade mac and cheese wagon…*disclaimer* Once you’re on there’s no getting off!
1 16 oz box elbow
20 oz about 16 cups shredded
3 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
8 oz sour cream
Season salt or Seasonings of choice
Shred your cheese if it’s not already done.
Pre-Heat oven to 400°
Bring a pot of stock water to a boil.
Cook your pasta just to Al-Dente, you want a firm pasta not overcooked not under cooked I boiled mine for about 7 minutes.
Just make sure you don’t over cook.
It will cook again in the oven.
When pasta is cooked just to Al-Dente pour in colander and wash with cook water.
Set pasta aside.
Now lets make that cheese sauce.
In your pot, melt you butter, on medium high heat!
Mix in flour with whisk whisking and getting away all the clumps.
Slowly pour in half the milk.
Keep stirring….. Mix a bit more until sauce starts to thicken.
Put about 5 cups of cheese in the pot and whisk it into sauce until a melted. Keep stirring….
Turn stove top off.
Taste sauce and season accordingly…i use season salt, but you can use garlic powder, sea salt, pepper whatever you like, just make sure you season it if needed.
Now add the sour cream.
Be careful with this part or you’ll have a hot clumpy mess!
While whisking rapidly, pour you beaten eggs into sauce.
Just keep stirring…….
Pour cooked pasta into the cheese sauce.
Your almost there keep stirring…
Now pour your mac and cheese into a large baking dish.
Top with leftover shredded cheese…
Bake in oven for 12 minutes and Wala!
Your friends and family should thank me later… Let me know how it turns out in the comment section and if you have any questions feel free to ask away! Please don’t forget…practice makes perfect you may not get it right the first time just tweak-it next time, you will eventually master it I promise!
UPDATE* Using these same instructions, try this Grain Free version for a much healthier but still delicious alternative! I’m currently Gluten Free/Grain Free/80-20 Paleo. Removing Grains from my diet has transformed my health and body for the good.
- 1 16 oz box elbow
- 20 oz about 16 cups shredded
- 3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 oz sour cream
- 2 eggs
- Season salt or seasons of your choice
- Shred your cheese if it's not already done.
- Pre-Heat oven to 400°
- Bring a pot of stock water to a boil.
- Cook your pasta just to Al-Dente, you want a firm pasta not overcooked not under cooked I boiled. mine for about 7 minutes.
- Just make sure you don't over cook.
- It will cook again in the oven.
- When pasta is cooked just to Al-Dente pour in colander and wash with cook water.
- Set pasta aside.
- Now lets make that cheese sauce.
- In your pot, melt you butter, on medium high heat!
- Mix in flour with whisk whisking and getting away all the clumps.
- Slowly pour in half the milk.
- Keep stirring.
- Mix a bit more until sauce starts to thicken.
- Put about 5 cups of cheese in the pot and whisk it into sauce until a melted.
- Turn stove top off.
- Taste sauce and season accordingly...i use season salt, but you can use garlic powder, sea salt, pepper whatever you like, just make sure you season it if needed.
- Now add the sour cream.
- Be careful with this part or you'll have a hot clumpy mess!
- While whisking rapidly, pour you beaten eggs into sauce.
- Just keep stirring.
- Pour cooked pasta into the cheese sauce.
- Your almost there keep stirring.
- Now pour your mac and cheese into a large baking dish.
- Top with leftover shredded cheese.