Well I’m on day 16 of posting everyday for February and I’m keeping it really simple! So here’s an easy yet so satisfying recipe I hope you’ll try.
I made this easy side to go with my Jamaican Jerk Chicken Nuggets and it almost stole the show! It’s not my first time making homemade potato chips but it was a first using a sweet potato and it’s just as easy but twice as tasty.
I seasoned the freshly fried sweet potato chips with brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper! It was packed with all kinds of flavors, sweet savory and spicy!
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening
- 2 organic red sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Using a mandolin or knife (very careful) cut potatoes into thin slices.
- Cover the cut potatoes in water.
- Let them sit for at least 30 minutes in water.
- Drain water and place potatoes on paper towels to dry.
- In heavy pot heat shortening to 350-365 degrees.
- In a brown paper bag mix together brown sugar, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and salt. give it a good shake.
- Add a single layer of potatoes to the pot.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until they start to brown. flip in between cooking time.
- Drain cooked chips on paper.
- After chips have cooled down a bit shake them in bag with sugar until evenly coated.